Tuesday, July 26, 2016

my love hate relationship with Atom (mostly hate)

I was (to an extent still am) a staunch supporter of the Atom editor, but today I think I am finally considering moving on to Visual Studio Code (vscode). Who would have thought Microsoft would (IMO) create a faster editor using Github's Electron better than Github themselves? (Github created Atom, Electron is a UI container to write cross platform GUI apps using web technology like Javascript and html). Atom and vscode are both built on Electron.

Atom is a wonderful editor developed with node. It rightfully earned its slogan "A hackable text editor". There are tons of plugins/packages written for the editor and they are simply amazing. So why am I shying away from Atom? It is so slow! Painfully slow. Want to open a simple file to edit? 5-6 seconds (16gb ram Mac). I found myself just firing up Vim most of the time to edit, and I am not so proficient with Vim.

Things I tried to speed it up:
  • Uninstalled most of my plugins/packages (no dice)
  • Reverted my themes to default (no dice)
  • Tried the beta version (slightly better)
  • Am i missing anything else?

Visual Studio Code (vscode): I first tried out this editor when it was in beta, and I hated it. It had no plugin support, clunky (IMO) user interface, but I did like it's git integration. I fired it up a couple of months post beta and it was really fast, it also now has supports for plugins! and boy is the plugin/extensions community growing rather rapidly. I installed similar plugins/extensions like I had on atom and it was still fast! 

Things I like about vscode:
  • Fast.
  • Great git integration (diff tool is lovely)
  • Integrated terminal support off the bat
  • Has support for recent files or folder (so basic! A plugin for atom 🙄)
  • Amazing support for Typescript. (to be fair Typescript is created my Microsoft, so it was a given)
  • I prefer the auto suggestion of vscode

Verdict? Pending. I am still going to use both of them because I have a soft spot for Atom but vscode is making me more productive. I just wanted to rant. /r

10 comments:

  1. Financial issues is one of the reasons why relationships fail.GoolMal

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a preconceived opinion that getting married is expensive. The biggest expense is likely to be the venue which can cost a set fixed daily rate. You may be surprised to hear that haggling with the price of the venue and the cost of the meal or buffet they provide is acceptable. Here are a few of our top tips to saving the wedding budget. make him miss you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Warning: This article reveals some very harsh truths about men and relationships, and it will seem very offensive and downright messed up to a lot of people. It is likely that after reading this, your views on relationships will change dramatically. dating advice for women

    ReplyDelete
  4. Warning: This article reveals some very harsh truths about men and relationships, and it will seem very offensive and downright messed up to a lot of people. It is likely that after reading this, your views on relationships will change dramatically. signs he likes you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Online shopping has indeed grown beyond leaps and bound but it is still a long way away from becoming the choice of the majority. Many people are still not comfortable with the idea of buying anything without actually touching and feeling it. To them, it's odd to read product specifications, see some raw pictures and place an order. leather jacket for kids

    ReplyDelete
  6. This blog is so stunningly outstanding. Left its readers in the awe.
    anal legetøj

    ReplyDelete
  7. It takes gigantic learning to create this bit of craftsmanship.
    섹스토이

    ReplyDelete
  8. We generally adore people who know their body well and wear clothes accordingly. These are the people with great fashion sense. Some clothes suit a particular set of people, while they might not look good on others. So fashion is a very individual statement as it is nothing but just a reflection of your personality and thought. joker jacket

    ReplyDelete
  9. must primary the couple and readers to have the ability to stage those all vital album shots. The videographer foto video nunta suceava

    ReplyDelete
  10. The idea our closest relationships are meant to be difficult is a myth. Life is meant to be difficult; our close relationships are meant to support us in getting through life. In difficult times we bond closer - the relationships themselves should not be creating the difficult times. 12 secret words

    ReplyDelete